Thursday, February 07, 2008

Unscrewed

After my very disappointing attempts trying to sell some un-used books on eBay this week, I blasted a nastygram to every executive I could uncovered at the auction site.

Nobody responded.

However I did get an interesting email this morning:

Dear Jon,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to listing your handbook on eBay.

I understand your frustration in trying to list your item. We are aware
that the virtual item ban is causing some difficulty in listing
non-virtual items such as guides and trading cards.

I have reviewed the issue and you should now be able to list your items.
Please let us know if you have any other problems or concerns.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,
Jayden
That tweaked my curiosity. I tried to repost a "World Of Warcraft" guide. It worked. I tried to edit all my other posts (scheduled to launch tomorrow) and they worked, too. Not any sign of the system blocking me for posting "virtual items."

Could they have resolved my problem by just flipping a bit somewhere? Surely they didn't actually fix the filter. More likely they have some covert flag on users' accounts, and now I'm able to bypass the filter.

I certainly understand eBay's stance on the matter. However their implementation of blocking the virtual goods is very clumsy and appears to be a potential impediment to everyone, not just traffickers in virtual wares.

Anyway, I'm glad to be unscrewed. My venom is spent. And I'm back on course. I'm going to unload all these books and shift back to just being a Buyer.

No comments: